I was walking into the Gunther Trades Building and noticed a kid in front of me (he was most definitely close to my age, but my use of the word kid is important, for I am denoting a child and not a man). He wore a t-shirt and tight jeans which hung well below his waist. I have never understood this fashion; however, when one is wearing some sort of patterned or brightly colored undergarment, the fashion is plausible (though still questionable). Upon reaching this slow moving individual I came to the realization that we shared something in common: garments.
I was meandering about Facebook the other day. An old friend of mine has recently become engaged. His status mentioned his new love of nearly two months. Plain to see to anyone who was noticing was a statement alluding to the frustration pressed upon my friend by his not having a physical relationship with his "love." While said in jest, my friend's view of marriage was stark and clear.
I attended a Masterclass with the renowned operatic baritone Sherill Milnes. I was early of course, not wanting to be the one to come wandering in after the 7:30 mark. As I sat, a set of couples planted themselves beside me. Not having anything else to draw my attention, their conversation became my masterclass prelude. Not even five minutes had passed and I began to notice a pattern in one of the couples' conversation. Continuous mocking stabs back and forth between the young husband and wife. While a giggled "no" always accompanied the end of such an exchange, the onslaught continued within.
I was sitting in Philosophy class, and we were discussing The Communist Manifesto. One of the persons, a graduated student now employed by the department, made the comment, "any revolution is progress." He made mention of the that of the French, stating that while many were killed the aristocracy never attempted to reclaim what was taken. Upon my asking him, "So you view the deaths of twenty million Russians as progress?" His answer was short but weighted.
Within my text are four personal encounters which have caused me to reflect. Do we mean to be so impious? Even as I write this question the morality of my judgments on my fellow inhabitants weighs heavily on my mind. Yet, I must ask, is anything sacred anymore? Does anything truly matter to us? Can my friend not understand what he is doing with his choice of clothing? Can my friend not understand what he is saying about his future wife? Can my friends not understand what habits they are creating in their fragile beginning? Can my friend not understand the full force of his seemingly simple words? As I ponder upon these points, I realize that the answer must be yes, for how could they do so otherwise? We must become the change we wish to see.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Is There Not Anything That is Sacred Anymore?
Posted by Professor McKinney at 6:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Boy could I tell you some stories...Anyways, I hope all is well with you. You should come visit me sometime. I have some good ideas for music you should teach your students lol ;)
Post a Comment